Monday, May 08, 2006

orkut profile views

Orkut has added a new feature called profile views. People have immediately taken a typical stand on it. " i want to know who all visited my profile, but i don't want others to know that i visited theirs". I think thats not a fair thought. to win some, you gotta lose some. Infact i find this 'profile view' thingie to be neat in many ways. As a s/e, i can't help first mention backward compatibility, sorry abt that. i mean, if u want things to remain the way they were, just turn the feature 'off'; simple. Now coming to when the feature is 'on', i think its a nice feeling to know who all visited your profile. that i guess, everyone agrees upon. that, others will come to know that you visited their profile, is also a nice thing according to me. You can actually make a statement without typing a word. How many times have you had to stupidly say 'hi' to someone, just to keep in touch?
Finally, here's a workaround for those of you who want to have the cake and eat it too. when u're overcome by the orkut profile browsing syndrome, turn off the profile view feature and go about u'r activities. once you're done, turn it back on. you sure can afford to miss whover visited your profile in the meantime. deal?

13 comments:

  1. Hey dude… I have a different point of view… by this you are giving your remote control to some one else.
    Say for example I have profile viewer on but you have off. So I won’t come to know that you have visited my profile… though my viewer is on… I guess it should be other way round… It should be up to me to decide whether I want to know that others has visited my profile and also that let other know that I have visited their.

    Btw I like the point… with out saying hi other will come to that you have visited his profile… nice point dude…

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ dh@v@!

    think logically bro! suppose you get what you want and you set the feature such that you want to know whoever visits u'r profile. If a person visiting u'r profile has his/her settings such that the person is invisible to the others while browsing, who would be given preference??

    doesn't happen that way dude..first thing its got to be logical. Secondly, and from a different perspective, more importantly, its got to be fair. It is not fair if you want to be invisible while browsing through others profiles, but come to know if anyone else visits yours. agree?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I beg your pardon here Thushar..

    As far is being fair is concern I think u r right.. that’s not fair.
    But when it comes to logical I think that’s absolutely fine… just compare it with invisible mode of Yahoo. U can see who all are online but other can’t see u… simple as that…

    Hey it’s nice discussing here but don’t personally… no offence intended.

    And one more thing can we have discussion on ur post (or via mails / orkut) cuz I am having a different discussion going on my post and that’s y I deleted it from there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice point that. n' yeah its not fair to take n' not give. tho' mostly profile views are cuz someone scrapped on ur page. pretty crappy- having to go thru so many pages to reply to a scrap. the orkut scrap helper firefox extension is a cool thing, but it dus not work always, i wonder why..

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey if i am in invisible mode and the persons whos profile i am visiting is in visible mode can he see me visiting him

    ReplyDelete
  7. well I did turn the profile views feature off but when I turned it back on I was unable to see who visited my profile,can u help me,solve this problem?????

    ReplyDelete
  8. depends on how soon after u checked for visitors. once u re-enable profile views, i guess it takes some time for the visitors list to display. try that. If it still doesn't work, u could be in sight of a few million dollars through a lawsuit victory over orkut

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey...if this does not work then I slang you all .............remember...Just joking kidz!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey.. this does not work. There is no way you can slealthily read other's profile without them
    knowing it..

    ReplyDelete
  11. sir i just wanna know that how should i know that whoe's profile i visited? plz answer asap

    ReplyDelete
  12. in the new orkut, i cannot see the profile of others. How can this be done?

    ReplyDelete