Monday, July 24, 2006

an accent on accent!

I think i have stumbled upon quite an interesting discovery. I repeat, I think! If there is one word in the colloquial English language that I despise a lot, it is the word 'anyways'. Its on the lips of everyone nowadays and has somehow become a 'hep' word (or is it 'hip' word?). Anyways, (see! its contagious !!) I was pretty sure that such a word does not exist in the English language; that is before we Indians started speaking English. Just to confirm, i checked to see if 'anyways' has a mention in any of the online dictionaries. Here's what i found in merriam websters online

anyways

One entry found for anyways.

Main Entry: any·ways
Pronunciation: -"wAz
Function: adverb
1 a archaic : ANYWISE b dialect : to any degree at all
2 chiefly dialect : ANYHOW, ANYWAY


'Aha' shouted my mind. Unfortunate as it is that it does exist, just look at the explanation therein. Knowing how dangerous accent and pronounciation can be, i'm convinced now that it was a case of 'anywise' sounding like 'anyways' that gave birth to this retard of a word (pun intended). I stand vindicated and hopefully will convert my 'anyways' toting circle of friends to 'anywise' uttering enlightened circle of friends. 'Ahem Ahem' to that, will aver my dear friend

No comments:

Post a Comment