Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Pancha Shila to happiness

The Pancha Shila, or five moral precepts of Buddhist teachings:

1. Avoid killing, or harming any living thing.
2. Avoid stealing -- taking what is not yours to take.
3. Avoid sexual irresponsibility, which for monks and nuns means celibacy.
4. Avoid lying, or any hurtful speech.
5. Avoid alcohol and drugs which diminish clarity of consciousness.

To these, monks and nuns add...

6. One simple meal a day, before noon.
7. Avoid frivolous entertainments.
8. Avoid self-adornment.
9. Use a simple bed and seat.
10. Avoid the use of money.

Some of it obviously makes sense. The rest prompt me to ask 'why?'

Proponents of the above principles would argue against my myopic view of 'happiness', that spending money and enjoying what it can buy is superficial happiness which is fraught with underlying grief.

I agree. The world happens to work such that my happiness is mostly at the cost of someone else'. In other words, humans have devised a system that redistributes a static quantum of happiness amongst the system's members - us

Against that, 'nirvana' is akin to the creation of happiness. It is not borrowed or bought. To that extent, it's projected quantum is infinite. Ideal happiness doesn't come to one at the cost of another's; it increases collective happiness. So then, that seems like a sound goal to have for humanity. right?

"There is only as much light as there is darkness", I can argue. If you don't know how dark it can be, you can't appreciate how bright it is. A person is only as tall as another is short. Most of what life has us deal with cannot be measured in absolute terms. We need a reference for everything and that includes happiness.

However, I'd like to believe that I'm wrong. I'd like to believe that there is something called Absolute happiness, which I cannot comprehend now. At the same time, I don't see myself setting out in quest for it. I appreciate those who do. good for them!

I'm happy with my hedonistic life and accept the bitter-sweet relationship with 'happiness' that 'normal' life offers.

But i see no harm in slowly moving in the direction of absolute happiness. We could surely make collective progress in increasing the quantum of happiness that we share amongst ourselves. This comes from being good and doing good.

So be good! and do good! For now, the Pancha Shila can wait!

1 comment:

  1. I like the whole concepts in your profile is a mind opener and stress relieving.
    keep up the good work.

    http://johnsmarte.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete