Thursday, September 27, 2007

what would you have done?

I found a dead roach in my food today.
I was at this newly renovated restaurant near my office.
I used to go there once in a while, before they closed down for renovation.
I found decor to have changed.
The table cloth and mats were matching with the decor.
They'd installed a juice counter. The woodwork was nice.
Even now though, the floors weren't as clean as they should be. As a result there were a few flies
I used to tell them earlier to try and maintain some more cleanliness
I used to always have the veg thali they served. Pretty decent stuff
Today i found a dead roach in my dry sabzi (palya, in kannada).
I stopped eating and observed the roach for a second, maybe to confirm
I called the waiter. He came
I just pointed to the roach and smiled. He sheepishly smiled back and hurried to the manager.
I got up and went to the wash.
When i got back, the manager came over and told me that i need not pay the bill.
Note that he didn't say 'sorry' first.
I said i don't want free food and requested for the bill.
He began ranting about how the appearance of the roach is the result of the renovatio n work and not of the practices.
I didn't react to that. I just told him that i've always mentioned that the cleanliness was never up to the mark and that fancy table cloth et al is not as important as hygiene is.
Now he says sorry
He mentions about a suggestions register.
I pay the bill and leave.

what would you have done?

3 comments:

  1. I have done the same thing as u did in the past!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paying for the bill was a good idea. Or else he would get complacent that he has compensated for the loss

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, you acted rationally.

    ReplyDelete